Life with a boy and his Hypoplastic Left heart Syndrome, now Heart transplant and partial Liver from Aspergillius. Also, a girl and her Tethered Spinal Cord Syndrome, Neuro Endocrine Cell Hypoplasia, Lumbar Hemangioma, asymmetrical gluteal cleft, Pectus Carinatum and two Super Sisters and one yummy baby brother.

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Mouth mess, resolved!

A few months ago we decided to take Gator in to a dentist to be checked, after he complained that his back molar was bugging him. Come to find out he needed some extensive dental work. Some of his problems can be blamed on me. I let him have a sippy cup forever and I didn't nurse him... Plus I never knew how long we would have him in this life, so at a young age I let him explore with sweets.. Pretty sure his daily chocolate milk was a contributor. There was much that I had no control over... The fact that his heart meds and his oxygen for so long played a part in the break down. Then there is his genetics, plain and simple crappy teeth... Boo:( So we set up a date for his work to be done... It was tricky to nail down a time because we wanted our health insurance to help cover some and they were fighting with us just a little. When we were finally approved things went pretty fast. We had to be up and out pretty early this morning. Check in at 7:30 am.. Which means leaving an hour earlier, plus our girls were going over to be with our wonderful friends and neighbors. It is pretty disturbing we know the hospital so well and know directly where to go, how to get there and just what to do once at the destination. Gator is at ease most of this time. He played with toys that our friends the England family donated to the hospital. It is funny that something as familiar as a train table can make things smoother/easier. The Barbie house was there too, but he didn't really care too much about it. When the nurse called him back he knows to jump on the scale and then check to see how tall he is. In our room we do red finger (pulse ox), arm hugs (blood pressure), ear beeps (temp) and listen and look for lions.(listen to his heart and tummy, peak in his ears). He told the nurse she was silly for looking for a lion. Then he had to change into his hospital Pjs. He isn't a really big fan of those pjs. There was some resistance but in the end he decided he would change. Plus he got to wear the hospital socks that actually fit him, like one of the three kids those socks fit. They are cool cause they have rad grippers on the bottom. He played WII while we talked with Dr. Hannon. He is a cardio anesthesiologist who has been with Gator since he was a baby and knows him pretty well. Then Dr. Reading our pediatric dentist!!! He was a little hesitant to go into the room. I would be too! He is my brave little man! Everything went as planned except that darn tooth in the back that has bothered him from the beginning was just too far gone. It looks like it just crumbled apart. So he had three extractions.. Those two in the front along with the back guy. A spacer placed to hold open the spot in the back. Two silver caps. And five little cavities filled. He woke up in a fit bit settled back down when I got there and just explained he was tired.... The first thing he wanted me to do was take a picture of his new smile. The second thing he wanted to do was go over to Debbie Girls to show off! When we got him home all he wanted to do was nap. He wanted ramen for lunch which I made and he couldn't eat because he was so tired. Then he soaked in the bath for a little while and slept some more. I made him another bowl of ramen, this time he made it through four bites and was super full. He is planning on school tomorrow and it should be a fun filled morning because the tooth fairy is visiting our house tonight!


likeschocolate said...

Poor kid! We have been there with our second son. Don't know why since we brushed his teeth daily, but he had to have severe dental work. No fun!

Cricket said...

Gator you are such a Trooper!!!