Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2014

We are lucky to be on this journey!

You are probably thinking... She has finally lost it! How is it possible to be LUCKY? 
Well....
I am going to tell you. 
I have mentioned before, that many people have lived a life time and don't get to experience half of the things that Alex has/gets to. A few things that many people miss out on is genuine kindness, generosity, feverrant prayer in his behalf, and just plain incredible thoughtfulness. He experiences a great deal of pain, frustration, and fear as well. But having such wonderful distractions from these things has made the ick parts so much more tolerable. 
We just got one of the neatest, most thoughtful, sweet things... Well I don't even have words in my head to explain it. 
Let me just give you the details and you will see what I mean. 

We call him Big Alex so we don't confuse him with our Alex. He is my cousin and is and always has been quick to smile, easy to spend time with, has one of the greatest laughs EVER (makes me smile just thinking about it), and is amazingly brave. When I think about Big Alex, I think of our childhood getting to be the big cousin helping out after he was born. Playing in the yard or dirt... He is always happy. The best part is that Gator shares a name with one fantastic guy! 
Big Alex is in Afghanistan (Gator calls it Af-gal-i-Stan) serving our country. I wish I knew more details about how many times he has been out, or what exactly he does (all I know is that it has been extremely dangerous in the past and could be now) 
Doing all that he is doing there, he thought of his cousin's little boy... 
He wrote me a while back on FB and said he wanted to send Alex something. When I told Gator this he said. "I hope it's a gun so I can go.. Trrtrrttrrrrtttrrr" I has to break it to him that I didn't think that would get through customs. To which he said "stupid customs". 
Guess what did come? 
This amazing flag was carried by Big Alex . Then dedicated to Gator. 
I bawled..,
I asked Gator if he understood what this meant and why it was special? We explained why we are free in this country and that freedom is because of the sacrifice of men and women willing to do scary things, risk their lives and leave their families. Big Alex is doing that for us. It means we get to choose to believe what we want, get medical care, and so much more. You could almost see it click
In his head and he ran downstairs and wrote this.... 


See, we are lucky!