Pages

Thursday, April 7, 2011

The cavity



Gator had a cavity that I could physically see inside his mouth. I could tell it was bothering him because he would complain that it hurt while he was chewing. So we found this amazing dentist who could work on a heart kiddo and who was confident and really sweet with Gator. When we went to the consult visit with Dr. Brown he made us feel very comfortable that he would do everything he could to fix the tooth without putting Gator in stress. Then if things turned south, he would refer us to a pediatric dentist. So we set up the fix-it date and I headed home with instructions to order Gator's antibiotics. Since he is a heart baby, he has to pre-medicate before any dental procedure and cleaning. I ordered his meds at our fave pharmacy. Ok so here is the problem, they gave me three great big pills. I had no idea how my three year old was gonna swallow those. They told me to put them in something. Our favorite pharmacy is turning out to be a bust. On the day of our dental appointment I find my mortar and pestle and crush the pills. I put the powder into a syringe and then suck chocolate milk into the syringe. It wasn't crushed very fine and the chunks kept getting stuck. It was crappy. 45 minutes later we finally have all the pills into him. The girls go to play with Papa and we go off to see Dr. Brown. Gator went back by himself and came out just a few minutes later. He didn't even need me back there. He got a little nervous one time but they talked him through it and he got to pick two prizes from the amazing treasure box of wonder! This dental office knows how to do a treasure box right. So hurray we are fixed and happy again. Best Dentist EVER!

No comments: