Pages

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Basher, Crasher

I thought maybe I was struggling to be a good mom to Asher because I just wasn't being patient or, I was not talking to him about things. I thought I wasn't picking the correct battles and that I was wrong in so many ways with so many things... So I thought I would start documenting how things were going so I could go back and pinpoint some triggers. 


. 8:15- wakes up- mad by the way. I can't get his breakfast fast enough because I am currently trying to get May ready for STEAM club.

8:35- Get him and May exact same breakfast set out on the table and call him to eat. Throws second huge fit of the morning, includes laying on the floor screaming. It was the breakfast he asked for, a gogurt and part of a left over donut. I also offered to make him an egg, cereal, a waffle, and toast with peanut butter. He said no to all. I leave MayLee to eat and him on the floor while I start getting out my clothes. Two minutes later May is finished and comes to my room, Asher follows carrying his Gogurt and donut. I ask him to go back to the kitchen with food.

8:50- The alarm for STEAM goes off and I go to find my shoes. Yogurt is all down the hallway, floor, walls, and child. He is not at the table. I grab the wash clothe and attempt to speed clean. We get shoes on and shuffle everyone to the car. 

8:56- Asher throws yet another fit because he isn't dressed. I explain we didn't have time due to the clean up, and that we are just dropping off May and will come back to change him. He demands I dress him. I carry him to the car crying and buckle him in while he clings to his shirt. 

9:07-I am fairly certain as I unbuckle his seat harness that it's not going to be a smooth home re-entry. He slides out of his chair, try's to dive for the back seat to hang out till I am done waiting, so that he can easily go to the drivers seat of the car, he loves to twist all the dials and knobs; changing settings and scaring the heck out of me when the volume is ear splitting. I pull him from the car. He tries to climb back in. I shield him from the car with my legs. He runs to the stairs to pout. I bypass him, go inside, set down my bag, take off my jacket, wait for him, ask him nicely to come in, his reply is always no. I close the door, but rethink that since his new favorite thing in the garage is all the hand tools daddy stores in there on the tool bench. I have flashes of him taking the tools to my car. I count to five and tell him it's time to come in. I go out to him, he closes his eyes when I get near. "You can't see me if I can't see you" mentality. I pick him up and carry him in. He falls to the floor when I try and set him down.

9:10- I start journaling.....

9:27- He goes to the fridge and gets 3 cheese sticks, ziplock bag, and a pen. He wants to color on my journaling page. His pen sucks, I offer him mine. "I doin it", "look it mom" he loves journaling too. 

9:30- we shower without too much drama. I am pretty sure it's cause I let him bring in his string cheese. Cheese in the shower is a new thing for me. 

9:39- doesn't want to get out. I wrap him in a towel and hold him on my lap to rub his back until he calms down. 

10:12- I try to make the bed. He loves when I toss him into the pillows. Eight tosses later and I need to finish. He try's to help me. It takes sooooooo much longer. I get anoyd that it's such a long process, but glad for his help, kind of....He runs to my closet to try and take out daddies head lamp. I tell him to put it back, and he chucks it back in the drawer and slams the drawer loud. I decide to move the head lamp way up higher. This is the 100th attempt for Ash on that head lamp. I make a mental note to add like item to his Christams list. 

The next couple of hours I decide I can't be taking so much time writing. I need to be present to focus solely on making sure we both survive the day. Although it's filled with.. 
 Finding chap sticks screwed all the way out. 

Then the next day Halloween candy taking a bath. That actually turned out nice since the heat of the water melted all the bars, I just got to chuck the whole thing. Over and done. 


 
And the Christus figurine eating some of Asher's lunch.


Everyday is an adventure. 

Today I text Jeff,

I never thought I would yell, "Asher, where is the stick of butter?", "tell mommy where the butter is right now!". I found the wrapper which made me worry he had eaten the whole stick.  ALex found it stashed in the recliner behind the Velcro liner thing. I was fixing dinner and he takes ingredients off the counter to sample. He went behind the recliner to unwrap and sample the stick of butter in less than 1 minute. Not only sneaky, but mega fast....

He has also destroyed a small portion of my Thanksgiving decorations. *sign* I can't have nice things. We can't go anywhere because he is a runner and destroyer. Please bless, he grows out of this stage sooner rather than later. In the mean time. I will be home cleaning up messes if you need me.  




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are afraid of this little guy. Time to be the boss. He will appreciate it later and so will you.

Cindy said...

Wow, you have your hands full. It doesn't seem like you have much time... to do anything... but I remember trying to stay one step ahead of my kids. Put on their favorite movie and while they're watching (even for a few minutes) I go into another room and set out some favorite coloring books and crayons. When they come in to happily find that, I've already set up something in their room... plus, lots of time outside to play! I sit and drink iced tea while they run and swing and play in the dirt and tire themselves out!

I hope you find the thing that calms him and gives him peace.