Pages

Monday, May 15, 2017

April 13th

I have been wanting to do some treasure hunting for some time. I love the idea of finding something someone intentionally or unintentionally left behind. I remember a Family home evening from when I was a little girl. (Family Home Evening is a time during the week that families come together to plan, organize, and learn in an atmosphere of love. The Mormon religion believes that families are such an important part of our time on earth that we should dedicate an evening to share our talents, learn the scripture stories, learn a new hobby and tons of other things) Not all families are created equal and not all Family Home Evenings are the same. I remember holding many Family Home Moments too. When not all five kids could be together because of schedules and so we had a concept or scripture that we would discuss and pray together. ANyway... My mom had made a handmade map out of a paper bag. Then we followed the clues and found our treat. It was so awesome. I don't remember what the lesson was about. But I do remember that I was excited and I knew my parents loved us, so much so that they would come up with ways to make our life fun. I hope our kids remember our Family Home evenings as fondly as I remember mine growing up.
Treasure hunting also meant Groesbeck family reunions. I have a bunch of amazing cousins... My Groesbeck Grandparents have nine children. Yes, you read that correctly, 9. I think they have 33 grandchildren, I tried to count the great grandchildren, but can't remember if some have just announced or if they have recently had their babies. Grandma and Grandpa should be sainted. They make every child, grand, and great, feel like their favorite. (Everyone knows it's really me) 
Family reunions always ended with a treasure hunt. While cars were being packed up to leave, the kids were running from one clue to the next. The treasures were always so fantastic. 

So my new and favorite activity, which started on this day (April 13) is called Geocaching. It's like treasure hunting. It's perfect for a family who need an activity to do that doesn't require money and isn't big crowds of germs. Since starting we have found thirty caches or treasures, of all shapes and sizes. We have also found things as close to our house as a couple streets away, to Idaho Falls Idaho. It uses GPS. We love it. This is a log inside of one of the caches. We/I chose the name 5 little Homies. So if you find a cache with that name... We have been there before. 



I think the next on our Treasure hunting adventures will be metal detecting. Wish us luck.



No comments: